Skip to main content
Forgiveness of the Saint-Sauveur chapel
Chapelle de Saint Sauveur
The 24/07/2022

Forgiveness of the Saint-Sauveur chapel

favorite_borderAdd to favourites
Chapelle Saint-Sauveur
56410 ERDEVEN
Mass of forgiveness in the Saint-Sauveur chapel at 11 a.m.

The village of Saint-Sauveur was formerly called Loc-Clément, which would explain the presence of the statuette of this saint in the Saint Sauveur chapel. However, his current surname is very old. The building dates back to the beginning of the 16th century: the pinnacle, the west door, the sloping claws of the gables, the pinnacles on corner buttresses, date from the first half of this century. The south door decorated with a rich Second Renaissance decoration could have been redone in the second half of the 16th century.

Work carried out during the 17th or 18th century led to the removal of the bedside bay (replaced to the south, as in the Saint-Germain chapel in 1635) in order to allow the installation of an altarpiece, which has now disappeared.
In 1900: the rupture of the frame led to the partial ruin of the south wall (Danigo, 1986).
1943: the chapel is hit by a shell, it is restored after the war.
1967-1968:interior restoration (repointing), framework and roofing, contemporary stained glass windows, by local residents.

Built at a high point, in the immediate vicinity of several lechs (or stelae) which still remain, the chapel occupies the western part of the village. It is built of granite cut stone, of large regular apparatus. Rectangular in plan with a single vessel and flat apse, it has four corner buttresses adorned with drip caps of pinnacles with hooks. It is covered with a roof of long slate sections, offering a light core. The uncovered gables have hooks on the slopes, a straight staircase is arranged on the northern slope of the western gable in order to access the pinnacle. A cornice forming a drip edge above the base skirts the entire monument and highlights the backsplash of the exterior benches on the west and south facades. The building is open, to the west: by a semicircular door molded with tori; South :a richly decorated round arched door, with a round arched window (19C) on the left, a pointed arch window and a large arched window on the right, the latter probably reusing elements from that of the apse; to the north, the old door is blocked. The wall of the apse retains the trace of an old bay (capped) of which there remains the top finial and, above the coat of arms with shield (illegible) punctuated with small columns. The decoration of the south door is remarkable. It consists of a high entablature supported by two smooth pilasters. The cornices are very prominent and the invoice of the lozenges, volutes and sculpted balusters, particularly neat. The square base pinnacle has corner pilasters. It is topped with an arrow in the shape of a pyramidion topped with a cross. Inside, the paneling is recent and hides the structure of the old frame with the exception of a few ties. Only the space of the choir is paved in granite (including a tombstone), the rest of the nave retains a clay floor.

Opening times

On 24/07/2022
See more dates
Chapelle Saint-Sauveur
56410 ERDEVEN

Spoken languages

french

Recommended for you

The most popular accommodation, activities, events, visits and walks