Skip to main content
The Charterhouse
la chartreuse

The Charterhouse

Rue Pierre Allio Bp-50106
56400 Brech
The Chartreuse was built following the battle of Auray which opposed Jean de Montfort to his cousin and rival Charles de Blois, for the Duchy of Brittany. The confrontation cost the life of Charles de Blois and put an end to the War of Succession of Brittany. In 1382, Jean IV de Montfort, who became Duke of Brittany, had the collegiate church of Saint-Michel du Champ built in memory of the dead combatants. In 1482, the Carthusians settled there, but were driven out in 1791. The bones of Chouans and emigrants shot by General Hoche's troops in 1795 are kept in the Chartreuse Mausoleum. At the time, they had been summarily buried in the "field of martyrs", 500 m from La Chartreuse in the direction of Sainte-Anne d'Auray.
Rue Pierre Allio Bp-50106
56400 Brech

Type of equipment

Historical sites and monuments
Chapel
Convent or monastry
Church
Monastry

Spoken languages

French
English

Recommended for you

The most popular accommodation, activities, events, visits and walks